Saturday, July 17, 2010

It Wasn't My Fault, Honest


Today is my brother's birthday. He would be turning 36 if he were still alive today.

Through no fault of his own my brother was born on my Uncle's birthday, which for the sake of ease became kind of a "family birthday." This meant my brother had to share his birthday every year. When I was pregnant with with Wesley our Uncle died unexpectedly and my brother realized that meant his birthday that year - his 19th birthday (which in BC is a big deal) - would be his day and he was really looking forward to the attention and festivities.

As I got closer to and then passed my due date (July 7) my brother became increasingly anxious, broody even. He was somewhat buoyed by the knowledge I would be induced before his birthday but even so the last thing he said to me before I left for the hospital that day was...

Don't you DARE have that baby on my birthday!

Well, I honestly tried very hard to give birth to Wesley as soon as I could, but it was not meant to be. Wesley entered the world exactly 1 hour and 58 minutes into my brother's coveted 19th birthday. He never said anything about it but I know that the birth of the first grandchild of the family eclipsed him on his day and every birthday there after. He grew to adore his nephew and I'm sure there was no need in his mind to forgive Wesley for stealing his birthday because if there was any fault to be had it was mine.

Happy Birthday Chris. It really wasn't my fault!

No comments: